Thursday, March 4, 2010

okc memorial marathon 2010, here i come!

Yes, I know it's March already, but better late than never, right? So much has happened since I've posted last, so I'll just jump into the updates!

So everyone knows that I've been struggling with my weight and being more active for the past few years, so a couple of months ago a friend of mine told me that she was going to be running the Oklahoma City Memorial Marathon this year and that I should consider doing it. I think I actually laughed at her. Seriously. She said she was going to be doing the half, which is 13.1 miles. Yep, 13.1 miles. I was thinking, "I don't run. I don't jog. I don't like to go for a walk unless it's sunny and perfect outside. How on earth will this body be able to get through that distance in a couple of months?!" (The marathon is on April 25th, by the way). I haven't run since high school, I hated it then, and that was when I was in the best shape of my life! That was the day that started me thinking about how sick of being unhappy with how I look I was and how this would be something that I accomplished on my own, that no one could do or finish for me, and not one bad thing could come out of doing it. I kept thinking about it and started talking to friends who run and have run marathons and 5K races and decided that I wanted to fit into that group of people. I could finally become the person who says "I'm going to go for a run" and actually be able to do it and enjoy it. I would lose weight, get healthier on the inside, and be proud of something that I actually finished, and other people would be proud of me too. I finally decided that I was going to try it, and it's been a roller coaster ever since. I say 'ever since' like it was years ago, but to me it really does feel like the past month and a half has been forever!

That next weekend, Chris and I went to get shoes, and I started telling people that I was going to be participating in the race. I figured that once I told people I was doing it, there wasn't any way I could back out! I was kind of surprised about the reactions I received, but I guess when you don't work out or anything and have let yourself go, not everyone is going to be 100% behind you. Participating in a half isn't any easy task. All of my friends (especially the ones who run!) were, and have been, extremely supportive and excited for me, and I think the people who care about me can see how big of a deal this is for me to do. Some people were skeptical, and honestly, I think a lot of people were negative about it because of my weight. I got a lot of, "You really should think about injuries and being safe," and "That's a long way for someone who hasn't been training already," but I'm not expecting to run this thing, I just want to finish. My friend who will be with me on race day keeps reminding me of that, so I keep saying it out loud. Here are my first official pair of running shoes!


So I started running. Well, more like jogging. Kind of. Mac goes with us and at the speed I'm going, his little 5 inch long legs keep up at a fast walking pace. Sad, I know. In the first week I went every day, and I could see differences in my breathing, and I seemed like I could go just a little longer without walking each day. I even lost weight! Then my legs started hurting. My shins literally hurt to the touch, and every impact on the pavement was like torture. I talked to just about everyone I know (yes, I know I was/am driving people crazy with running talk...) and came to the conclusion that it might be my shoes, and that I needed to get re-fit. So here are pair of shoes #2.


I just got them last weekend, so I'm hoping that in the next few runs I will start to feel a difference. My legs still hurt really badly, but I think it's from my body being out of shape more than anything. Or else I hope so. Yesterday's run wasn't a good one. I cried for the first time because I am so frustrated with my lack of progress and I just want to see something good happen soon. I know I just have to keep doing it, and I am proud of myself for not just giving up by now.

Something that I don't think a lot of people realize is that this isn't just a physical victory for me, it's also a psychological one. I've really realized lately that I am terrified of failing. At anything and everything. My sewing machine scares me. I collect pieces of projects and am afraid that if I start them and they don't go the way I want them to, I won't be able to fix them. So I don't start a lot of things. I give up way too easily, and doing this race won't allow me to give up. I want to say that I did this half, not we, and it's something that I can have as my own. Because no one else can do it for me, and though I will have a lot of support from friends and family, I am ultimately the one that has to get myself through it. I will be thanking everyone like crazy for helping me through this, and I'm sure I'm not the only one counting down the days until it's here - my obsession with this is probably driving everyone I talk to insane :) Here's to battling that inner wall holding us all back in some way, and may we all learn to overcome it and be proud of what we can accomplish!

No comments:

Post a Comment